Veterans Day Service: Names of all War Dead | News
GRAND RAPIDS - At the Veteran's Home in Grand Rapids, and at more than one hundred sites across the country Sunday, name after name was read. One by one, the name of every American killed in battle, from the Civil War to Libya last month, was heard by those who listened.
It's a service project called "The Fight Continues" started by some Michigan Iraq war vets. Their mission - to help educate the public on the sacrifices made by military families, "in order to make this generation of war veterans the next 'Greatest Generation'" according to Eric Calley of Michigan.
More than two thousand names were read aloud in Grand Rapids by a group of volunteers.
The readers included Grand Rapids Police Department Lt. Pat Merrill, an Iraq war vet.
Merrill told WZZM 13:"They say you die twice - once when your body dies and the last time when the last person says your name and with any luck these people will never die...this observance - observances like this are an effort to really keep 'em alive."
To learn more about the effort, click here: http://http://the-fight-continues.com/
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids North
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grand Rapids police are investigating an overnight stabbing during an apparent robbery attempt.
- Break dance school celebrates 10 years of street dancing
- Outdoor watch party planned for MSU-Oregon game
- The Rapid gives annual update to Kent Co. commissioners
- Kris Spaulding helps Brewery Vivant find a new way of making merry