Construction is in season | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- This summer the name of the game is construction on bridges along U.S. 131.
The first project off of U.S. 131 is 6th Street. It's broken up in two places. The bridge over the Grand River is now under construction. MDOT's project will close ramps at U.S. 131 and 6th Street through mid May.
The second bridge under construction is the one over Pleasant Street's railroad tracks. Drivers on U.S. 131 will lose a lane.
MDOT's John Richards says, "That would be the biggest impact to motorists, even though we're taking just one lane, that's a third of the capacity on a stretch of road that gets 100,000 cars a day."
Down the way you'll find a third project off of U.S. 131-- the Franklin Street bridge. It's getting a new surface. Come April 20th, expect double lane closures for demolition with a project end date of July 30th.
As for beach goers, expect back-ups heading into Grand Haven. A widening project on M-104 and I-96 may have you thinking of alternate routes this summer, like Lake Michigan Drive or Leonard Street.
Either way, checking for road closures on MDOT's website will help you plan ahead, and save you the headache.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids North
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- GRFD confirms child playing with fire caused West Side blaze
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State